WINTER ADVENTURES 2015-2016
Winter Adventures 2015-2016 Descriptions
Winter Adventures, we welcome individuals ages 7+ and enjoy 5 days of skiing and snowboarding at Snowmass, Colorado, one of the world’s premier family-friendly ski resorts just a few miles outside of Aspen.
- 5-day on-mountain skiing/snowboarding*
- One-to-one private lesson with an Aspen Skiing Company professional specializing in teaching persons across the autism spectrum
- Additional support from ski buddies will also be provided throughout the day
- Ski/Snowboard equipment (skis or board, boots, poles, helmet)
- Lift tickets
- Lunch and daytime snacks for participant Monday-Friday
- Breakfast for participant and one (1) guest (e.g. parent, aide) at Monday Meet and Greet
- Friday awards ceremony for participant and one (1) guest with light appetizers and beverages. Additional guests are welcome at the breakfast and Friday awards for an additional cost.
*Severe weather and camper sickness may necessitate substitute activities.
The private lesson option pairs campers with Aspen Ski Company instructors trained in working with persons with autism. Because it is a 1:1 program, private lessons allow for greater flexibility and convenience for participants than the camp program while still providing them the same quality ski/ snowboard instruction.
The private lesson package includes:
- 1:1 lessons with an Aspen Skiing Company professional instructor (Full- and half-days available)
- Lunches and daytime snacks
- Equipment rental
- Lift pass
Families that want their student to enjoy a lesson with an Aspen Skiing Company professional instructor while developing their social skills in a mainstream environment can request to sign-up for our buddy-supported group lessons. Supervised by an Ascendigo buddy, enrolled students will participate in one of Aspen Skiing Company’s group lessons alongside neuro-typical learners of the same age group and skill level. The buddy-supported group lessons package includes assistance from an Ascendigo buddy throughout the day.
Any other inclusions in the package- lunches, equipment rentals, lift tickets, etc.- are determined by the particular Aspen Skiing Company group lesson program. Please see the Kid and Teens Group Lesson section or the Adults Group Lesson section on the Aspen Skiing Company website or contact Aspen Skiing Company for more details.
Participants must register for Buddy support through Ascendigo.
*Please note: because the buddy-supported group lessons are in a mainstream environment, Ascendigo approval is required for program eligibility. Aspen Skiing Company reserves the right to dismiss students from their groups in the event of disruptive behavior.
The Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club (AVSC) is a Roaring Fork Valley institution that has for decades provided ski and snowboard instruction to young people throughout the community. In 2013, Ascendigo initiated a partnership with AVSC to expand its services to local youth with autism. For winter 2015/16, we have expanded our program to accommodate more of the local autism population.
Ascendigo will provide a ‘buddy’, or aid versed in autism teaching methods and behavior management, at no additional cost to the family, to accompany the child during regular AVSC ski classes, giving them the extra support and guidance they need.
- Successfully integrate children with autism into mainstream ski and snowboard classes with their peers,
- Encourage socialization, and
- Raise awareness and understanding of autism in the community.
First, sign up to the program through AVSC. You may also apply for scholarships through AVSC. Then, register for buddy support through the Ascendigo website - select the AVSC Session.
*Please note: because the buddy-supported group lessons are in a mainstream environment, ESC approval is required for program eligibility. AVSC reserves the right to dismiss campers from their groups in the event of disruptive behavior.
Visit the AVSC website for information regarding discounted lift passes and equipment rentals.
Please contact Matt McCabe at Ascendigo with any questions at (970) 927-3143
For more information on AVSC and AVSC scholarships, visit www.teamavsc.org
Winter 2015/16 Prices
Lodging/Travel Optionsfor more information on travel options